Back to School Central: Preparing for #MNPSDay1
We are only a few days away from the first day of school. Here are a few things you should know before the new year starts:
- School starts Wednesday, August 3. It will be a half-day for all students. There is no school on Thursday, August 4. Friday, August 5 will be a full day for grades 1 through 12 and a half-day for pre-K and kindergarten. Download the district calendar.
- Tax-free weekend starts Friday, July 29 and runs through Sunday. You can stock up for the school year and buy some clothing, school supplies and computers with no sales tax.
- Letters with your school bus number and bus stop are on the way. They are being mailed a little later than normal, but you will have it before the first day.
- If your child is entering pre-K, kindergarten, 7th grade or is brand new to Metro Schools, be sure to get the required immunizations and an update immunization certificate. There’s a immunization clinic this weekend.
- We have a new Director of Schools this year, Dr. Shawn Joseph. Learn about him, his leadership team and the first 100 days plan.
- We have new principals in Metro Schools. Learn about them here.
- Your school may be holding an open house or orientation meeting. Check with your school‘s principal or front office to find out when they will be.
- Update your information. If you have moved, changed cell phones, or have any other household information that may have changed, please contact your school to update your information. The beginning of school will include many callouts and announcements from you school and they will need the most accurate information on file to reach out to you.
- Gradespeed is gone, and its replacement will be ready later in the semester. The new MNPS Family Portal will replace Gradespeed and include access to students’ grades, attendance and much more. Read more about that here.
- Metro Schools will have a new website on August 1. The new MNPS.org will be simple, easy to use, friendly to mobile devices and focuses on the essential information for our families and community.
- If you have any other back to school questions, our Family Information Center is here to help. You can call (615) 259-INFO (4636) Monday through Friday, from 8:00am to 4:30pm, email FamilyInfo@mnps.org, use the chat window on MNPS.org or visit in person at 2601 Bransford Avenue.
We are very excited for the new year, and can’t wait to get started. See you August 3!