Parent-Teacher Conference Day: Learn how to get the most of out your conference
Today, Tuesday, November 3 is the day our district has Parent-Teacher conferences. Let’s make this day count!
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your #MNPS conference:
BEFORE THE CONFERENCE:
- Talk with your child. Learn more about your child’s favorite subjects and activities and ask if there are any concerns that he or she would like you to discuss with his or her teacher.
- Review assignments. Are there areas where your child really shines and others that might need a little work? Discuss both with the teacher.
THE DAY OF THE CONFERENCE:
- Be on time. The conference schedule is tight and teachers need parents to be on time. If something comes up, please notify your child’s teacher as soon as possible. Be sure to reschedule the meeting.
- Remember conferences are brief. A typical parent-teacher conference lasts 10-20 minutes. If you need additional time, ask for a follow-up session.
- Keep an open mind. Remember conferences are meant to help you understand your child’s school performance. Working together with your child’s teacher will help ensure that your child will succeed.
- Make plans. Find out what you can do to follow through at home. Decide together what you, your child, and the teacher need to do to ensure that your child is challenged and is on the path to graduation.
AFTER THE CONFERENCE:
- After the conference, talk with your child and discuss the teacher’s comments. Remember to share all of the things your child is doing well. Focus on his or her effort instead of the outcome. Be sure to talk about areas that you and the teacher will be working on to help your child improve.
- Follow-up. In the days and weeks that follow, let your child know that you are following up on what was discussed with the teacher.
- Recognize and acknowledge your child’s effort, practice and determination as he or she moves forward.
Your child’s school and his or her teacher welcome parent engagement all year round. In fact, it’s critical toward academic success.
Please feel free to call and schedule a phone or in-person conference any time you think there’s a need or want to do a status check on your child.
Don’t forget you also have the choice of applying to Optional Schools out of your zone: Click here to get information on the Optional Schools Application
We have three Walk-Through Tuesdays left if you want to take a tour: View Walk-Through Tuesday dates for MNPS
Call 615-259-INFO (4636) for any questions regarding Parent-Teacher conferences.
Posted on November 3, 2015, in District, News, Parents, Tips & Help and tagged metro nashville public schools, nashville, november, parent involvement, parent teacher conference day. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.