North Sports Report – Because football.
by Mark North, president of The Fans, Inc
Opening night of football season surprises me every year. It’s so much fun! I adjust my expectations accordingly, but each year it is more fun than I anticipate. The marching bands, cheerleaders, fans, mascots, face painting, concession stand vittles, and great football – all combine to create an atmosphere of joy and excitement beyond description. The double dipping of football fun (Friday at Antioch and Saturday for the game at Vanderbilt) left the North Sports Report ready for more. Looking for some fun? Go to a game!
Middle School Jamborees
Saturday, August 29 is the unofficial start to Middle School sports with the football jamboree at Pearl-Cohn and the Volleyball Play Day at Overton. Good luck to all our players, cheerleaders, and coaches!
Spotlight: Royal Runners
Cross-Country season is getting revved up, and the MLK Boys team is ready to make some noise. Team Captain Jared Clark is a Two-Time All State runner; Team Captain Nolan Gross is a Top 50 Finisher in the State last year; and Will Carson returns as a Top 60 finisher in the State.
Their season includes five big meets at the Steeplechase Course:
- September 12: AF Bridges Invitational
- September 19: TN Classic Invitational
- October 22: Metro Championship
- October 29: Region Championship
- November 7: State Championship
Good luck to the runnin’ Royals
Alumni Alert: Whites Creek Alum Honored
Whites Creek’s Frank Omiyale will be inducted into the Tennessee Tech Sports Hall of Fame in November. Omiyale started all four years for the Tech football team, was named All-OVC and All America his Senior year, was drafted by the Atlanta Falcons, and played eight years in the NFL for the Falcons, Panthers, Bears and Seahawks.
Football Friday: August 28
Week 2 is loaded with great games. The North Sports Report is headed to Stratford for a battle of undefeated teams as the 1-0 Spartans host the 1-0 Glencliff Colts.
In other action:
- East Nashville Eagles host Maplewood Panthers at TPS;
- Hunters Lane Warriors visit Hillwood Hilltoppers;
- Whites Creek Cobras host Sycamore;
- Overton Bobcats host Marshall County
- McGavock Raiders play at home against Spring Hill;
- Cane Ridge Ravens look to go 2-0 as they welcome Mt. Juliet;
- Antioch Bears look to bounce back at home against LaVergne; and
- Hillsboro Burros (#1 in the State in 5A according to the Associated Press) open their home schedule by hosting Oakland; and
- Pearl-Cohn Firebirds travel to MBA.
The MNPS home games are at Stratford; at Hillwood; at Whites Creek; at Overton; at McGavock; at Cane Ridge; at Antioch; at Hillsboro; and at East Nashville (at TPS). Go to a game!
MNPS: The First Choice for Friday Fun
Posted on August 28, 2015, in Community Partners, District, News, Schools, Students and tagged athletics, cross country, football, mark north, north sports report, volleyball. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.