North Sports Report – December 13, 2013
by Mark North, president of The Fans, Inc
The Puck Stops Here
Can you imagine if Nashville could combine the speed and excitement of hockey with the pep and spirit of high school sports? Well, the North Sports Report attended a high school sporting event last week, and a hockey game broke out. You won’t find hockey on the list of TSSAA sports, but go to the Centennial Sportsplex and voila – high school hockey. If you love high school sports, you need to check it out!
Last week, Hume-Fogg’s team (combined with Page High School) and MLK’s team (combined with White House Heritage) skated in the coolest (at least coldest) Magnet Madness competition of the year.
When you go, here are some things you should know before the puck drops.
- The game moves fast – 14 minute periods and only 1 minute between periods.
- The teams are co-ed and really good.
- Some rules of the rink are posted on the wall, so don’t plan on any wall ball, knee hockey or shooting tape balls.
- The atmosphere is extremely fan friendly, albeit a bit nippy.
- It is only a matter of time before the TSSAA looks into sanctioning more sports, including hockey.
Check out the hockey schedule at www.gnashockey.com. Go to a game!
Throwback Unis Make a Comeback
Eight MNPS high school boys basketball teams will suit up in throwback uniforms and take the court at the Historic Litton High Gym on Saturday, January 4, for the 2nd Annual FANS Retro Classic. It is a great opportunity to see old friends, meet the legends, enjoy some great high school hoops, listen to oldies tunes during timeouts, and help raise money for MNPS sports.
The schedule of games… and remember each of these teams will be wearing throwback uniforms of by-gone high schools:
- Hillsboro (dressed as West High) vs. Whites Creek (dressed as North High) – 2:00pm
- Hillwood (dressed as Bellevue High) vs. Pearl-Cohn (dressed as Pearl High) – 3:30pm
- McGavock (dressed as DuPont High) vs. Hume-Fogg (dressed as Cameron) – 5:00pm
- Hunters Lane (dressed as Madison High) vs. Stratford (dressed as Litton) – 6:30pm
Last year, the throwback uniforms received national attention; local coaching legends shared the wisdom of the ages with today’s players; and the hoops action was fantastic! Tickets are $6 at the door and $5 in advance. Contact the Foundation for Athletics in Nashville Schools (firstname.lastname@example.org) to order tickets!
MNPS: The First Choice for Honoring the Past and Building the Future
Posted on December 13, 2013, in Uncategorized and tagged alumni, athletics, basketball, high schools, hockey, inc., north sports report, retro classic, the fans. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.