Six applications to open charter schools in 2014-15
The Charter Review Committee has made recommendations to the Board of Education for this year’s applicants. The Board of Education is scheduled to hear recommendations and take action at its June 25 meeting. This meeting will be covered on the district live-blog, which you can watch on MNPS.org.
The charter school applications for the 2013 cycle are in and under review.
Out of ten letters of intent, we received six full applications to be considered for charters. Three review teams are now poring over two applications each, with interviews and recommendations to follow.
The applications came in on April 1, and we have 90 days for review, recommendations to the Board of Education and final approval or denial by the Board.
Here is the timeline for moving forward:
- May 7 – All applicants come in for interviews with the application review teams
- Mid-May – Plans are yet to be finalized for a specific date, but there will be a time for public comment on applicants before the Board
- Mid-May – A round of cuts is made, with select applicants moving forward toward recommendation. Other applicants that do not make the cut will not be recommended for approval.
- May 28 – Selected applicants come in for second round interviews.
- Early June – Review teams will submit reports to officials from the Office of Innovation, who will prepare final recommendations for the Board
- Late June – Recommendations are made to the Board of Education for approval or denial of charters (June 25 at the latest)
Why did we receive only six applications from ten letters of intent? One school did not make the final deadline, another withdrew its application so it could have more time to put it together and two more did not complete all elements of the application as legally required by the State of Tennessee.
Our teams are excited to be digging into these applications, and I know we’re all looking forward to seeing what comes of them.
View the Applications and Recommendation Reports:
- KIPP Nashville College Prep Elementary School – Application |Recommendation Report
- Explore Community School – Application | Recommendation Report
- Nashville Academy of Computer Science – Application | Recommendation Report
- Rocketship Nashville – Application | Recommendation Report
- Thurgood Marshall School of Career Development – Application | Recommendation Report
- Valor Collegiate Academy – Application | Recommendation Report
Posted on April 9, 2013, in District, News, Schools and tagged board of education, charter schools, Explore Community School, KIPP Nashville College Prep Elementary, Nashville Academy of Computer Science, nashville prep, news, Rocketship Nashville, schools, Thurgood Marshall School of Career Development, valor collegiate academy. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.