MLK student finishes 2nd in Tennessee Geography Bee
Kevin just narrowing missed first place and a chance to go to the national competition. But we’re still awfully proud of him, as are his teachers and classmates.
Just for fun, here are a few of the final round questions. How would you have done?
- Q: Mozambique provides a link for the landlocked countries of southern Africa to the Indian Ocean, mainly through what major port city that also serves as its capital?
- Q: Which present-day country on the Gulf of Aden and the Red Sea was the southernmost point of the Ottoman Empire at its greatest extent?
- Q: The Churchill River flows across Saskatchewan and Manitoba into what large bay?
A: Hudson Bay
- Q: In 2012, Joshua Howard researched the effects of mountaintop-removal coal mining in the Cumberland Plateau in a state that borders West Virginia and Illinois.
- Q: Gold is mined near the city of Ciudad BolÍvar, an inland port located on which South American river?
A: Orinoco River
- Q: Hydropower accounts for over 90 percent of the electricity produced by a country that borders Greece and Montenegro. Name this country.